Having worked at the Avonmouth site many years ago, gas freeing a tank similar to the one which exploded. My heart goes out to those families who have lost their loved ones. To say they have my deepest sympathy doesn’t express strongly enough how devastating this news was when I heard it.
What was especially upsetting for me as a Bristol based blogger – is how close to home the incident occurred and the similarities to an experience I had some 30 years ago. Fortunately, that day no-one was hurt when I identified an explosive mixture in a gas holder before hot work was about to start.
I don’t know what happened in Avonmouth on Friday and neither do I intend to surmise as to the activities leading up to the horrific explosion. I’m writing first to express my condolences to the families. Second, to say this has motivated me to keep writing in an attempt to save more lives. And third, to encourage all who read my blogs to take seriously the need for education and competency assessments.
As someone who has spent the last 40 years undertaking gas free certifications and as the former co-owner the company monitoring the gas quality leaving these sites. I’ll never know if the information contained in this website could have made a difference. However, it has inspired me to continue sharing my experience as a retired Gas Industry chemist, occupational hygienist, gas tester and trainer.
I’m sure many of us are now thinking to ourselves – IF ONLY!
But sadly – no tragically – it’s too late. So please: Keep Reading – Keep Learning – Keep Assessing.
The Editor – Arobase Limited